
It was 30 years ago today. The president -- Jimmy Carter. Ronald Reagan was taking over in a few days. I was fresh off the plane, getting out into the cold in St. Louis, at the RAMADA, waiting to have breakfast. I did, at the cafe there, two eggs, a toast, and OJ, before the rest of the party of 110 got down.
We were put on two Greyhound buses which went down Route 3 and stopped at Murdale's McDonald's. I got more OJ and a packet of apple pie. What do I know then! A few minutes later, the two buses were at Faner Hall D, at the roundabout. Then I heard someone from outside asking for 'the guy who missed his plane'. That was me!! I went down, got ahold of him, and soon enough, I was in his beige Ford Torino, my two bags in his trunk. His name: Burhanuddin Wahid, 3rd year Econs, from Sabah. He took me to his apartment at Pyramids B where I bummed for a week before the 'community' leaders found a gang of three ex-ITM grads who'd accept me into their apartment. Their names: Roslan Latif, Abdul Hasib and Shaharain Shaharuddin.
That was the beginnings of my US odyssey, thirty years ago today.
-------------------

No comments:
Post a Comment